A beautifully soft and fruity traditional cake that really strikes the taste of Britain into your sweet tooth. Only needing few ingredients and basic techniques makes it a dessert that you can,t really get wrong, perfect for a budding baker.
Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Serves: 5
For the cake batter
- 170 g Caster sugar
- 170 g Self raising flower
- 170 g butter
- 3 large eggs
For the filling
- 1/2 jar of good quality strawberry jam
- 140 g of butter
- 110 g icing sugar
Tips and Tricks: If you have the time I would strongly recommend making your own jam for this recipe, it will add just another dimension to an already delicious cake.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar well, until it is very light and smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, stirring very well in the process (Should form very small bits of butter).
- Slowly incorporate the flower into the mixture while mixing quickly to make the mixture light.
- Begin Preheating oven to 180 °C.
- Grease two sandwich tins well, cut out circular pieces of baking paper and place into the bottom of the tins.
- Once the oven has heated up sufficiently, pour the mixture into the two tins and flatten the tops with a spatula (The flatter it is the more even it will rise).
- Place in oven and bake for 17 – 19 minutes, it will be cooked when a skewer is place inside and comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place onto a cooling rack until completely cool.
- In the meantime make the buttercream filling, cream the butter and icing sugar until light and smooth.
- Cut the top off one of the cakes with a bread-knife to make a flat surface for the top to sit on.
- Spread with butter cream, followed by the jam.
- Place on top layer and dust with icing sugar.
Tips and Tricks: The key to this recipe is adequate creaming of the butter and sugar so its light and smooth, as well as your oven being Preheated sufficiently. If your not a fan of buttercream feel free to use whipped cream instead, followed by sliced fresh strawberry’s instead of jam makes a filling that is just fabulous.