Summer is here and so are its veggies, the sweet taste of the cherry tomato sauce with chunks of aubergine goes perfectly with the soft sharp taste that feta brings. Really putting you in the summer feel with every bite, tasting even better outside with the cool summer breeze.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Serves: 2
- 300 g fresh baby tomatoes, finely sliced
- 5 small medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2/3 of an aubergine or one small aubergine, chopped into Approx. 2 x 3 cm rectangles
- 140 ml white wine
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Approx. 50 g Feta
- Handful of chives
- Approx. 250 g Penne pasta (Enough for 2 people )
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
Tips and Tricks: As I say with all my recipes try and get the best, freshest ingredients you can, particularly the tomatoes for this recipe it really transforms the flavour of the dish. If you were looking to make this for more than two people make the sauce in batches as making it in one big batch doesn’t give you the fresh quality that this pasta needs.
- Season a large pot of boiling water with salt and oil, begin cooking the pasta to al dente.
- When the pasta is 10 minutes from cooking, heat up olive oil in a large pan until smoking.
- Add the aubergines and fry for 2 minutes on one side, turning over and doing the same for another 2 minutes, or until cooked. (Should have a bit of brown char on each side)
- Add the minced garlic and stir well for 30 seconds, being careful not to burn it.
- Add the white wine and reduce for Approx. 90 seconds (should be about 2 tbsp. of wine left in the pan).
- Add the sliced baby tomatoes, along with the kosher salt and 15 cracks of black pepper.
- Cook the tomatoes for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the cooked pasta al dente along with 2 tbsp. of the pasta water.
- Add a couple of splashes of white wine.
- Toss the pasta in the pan to incorporate the sauce well (Stir if this is proving to be challenging)
- Place into a bowl and garnish with chopped chives, cracked pepper, crumbled feta cheese and more chopped chives.
Tips and Tricks: The key to this recipe is the right amount of white wine and fresh ingredients. You should be able to taste the white wine well and the feta when first meeting your taste buds, followed by the deeper flavours of the pepper, tomato and aubergine. Adjust the amount of white wine added at the end to achieve this.