A French twist on a traditional salad recipe that I promise will make you re think how a salad should taste. Being jammed packed with contrasting textures, flavours and temperatures makes this one of my all time favourites, while still being super easy to put together. A clear-cut recipe that really highlights quality ingredients, let’s see how far you can push the flavour of this dish :).
Preparation time: 25 minutes For: 4 Portions
- 3 -4 Medium size Gem Lettuce
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt (or 1 tsp normal salt)
- 12 Grinds of pepper from a pepper mill
- 150 ml Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Crisp Croutons
- 8 single anchovy fillets, Torn in half length ways
- 40 ml White wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Single egg, Boiled, peeled and chopped in half
Tips and Tricks: The absolute key to this dish is the quality of your ingredients, especially your extra virgin olive oil. You want it to be thick, rich and slightly dark giving the salad an amazing mouth feel and flavour. Choosing your olive oil is like choosing wine, expensive is not necessarily better, you just have to find one that you like.
- Wash the lettuce, Break into small pieces and allow to cool in the fridge to crisp. (Approx 20 minutes)
- In a pestle and motor pound the garlic, salt and pepper to a paste.
- Once the lettuce has cooled add to the salad bowl along with the oil and the garlic paste. Toss well.
- Add the vinegar, the anchovy fillets and then the croutons. Toss well.
- Finally add the Parmesan cheese, toss once more and finish with the boiled egg to serve.
Tips and Tricks: This being a super simple recipe the only piece of advice I can give is to ensure that you allow the lettuce to cool for long enough to crisp up, it will make the world of difference.