A great winter recipe, luxurious pine nuts held together by sticky floral honey syrup, creating a delightful winter snack to go along with your favourite warm beverage or as a boost of energy before a hard days work. Great for those interested in the health benefits and flavours of the Asian diet.
Preparation time: 10 Minutes Total Cooking time: 5 minutes Serves: 3 -4
- 125 g (1 Cup) Pine nuts
- 1 even Tbsp. Caster Sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. Liquid glucose
- 3/4 Tbsp. Liquid floral honey
- 1 Tsp. Water
- 1 Tsp. Groundnut oil
- Optional. Flaked Almonds to garnish
Tips and Tricks: With having so little ingredients you can not really go wrong as the quality of pine nuts and floral honey is always excellent. It can never hurt going the extra mile however to get that premium quality, Floral honey is ideal for this recipe for flavour and for its health benefits, but normal honey will still suffice.
- In preparation, line a chopping board with cling film and rub the surface with the groundnut oil to form an even coating.
- Toast the pine nuts on a medium heat until just golden (Approx. 5 minutes), stirring occasionally to ensure an even toasting . Remove and allow to cool down.
- Place the glucose, honey, sugar and water into the pan, heat it over a medium heat to form a syrup and allow to bubble for 1 minute (Do not stir).
- Add the pine nuts to the syrup, boil it down for 1 minute while stirring. Allow to cool slightly in the pan.
- Pour the pine nuts onto the prepared chopping board and spread out using a back of a knife to form an even square approximately 0.5 cm in thickness.
- When almost completely cooled run a long flexible knife underneath the cling film to release the pine nut square, remove cling film.
- Using a very sharp knife cut into 2 cm x 3 cm rectangles, present on a plate garnishing with 2 pieces of flaked almonds to form a flower bud shape.
Tips and Tricks: Paying attention to the details at all steps of this dish will help create something that is actually rather refined. especially when creating the pine nut square and cutting the individual pieces.